Pages

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Reeve Oliver - "We're getting the band back together!"

Today, I found out the best month-old news ever. Reeve Oliver is getting back together!



This is almost funny to me because a couple weeks ago I was going to write a blog about them entitled "Reeve Oliver - The Best Band That Never Was". I'm sure all of you have those bands that you listened to back in high school that just hit you really hard and have stuck with you ever since. For Cory and me, one of those bands is Reeve Oliver. They are 3 piece indie-rock band from San Diego,CA and were raved about in the area. I never got a chance to see them live, but Cory caught one of their shows in Knoxville, TN back in the day. He gave me their ep "Endless Bummer", and I haven't been able to get enough them. I think the only album readily available is "Touchtone Inferno", released in 2007, which I have available for you to listen to. They quickly broke up after the release, and we haven't heard much from them until just now. Somehow I also managed to scrounge around and find the "Reeveoliver" album at a local record store a few years ago which is also awesome!


Like I just said, every once in a while a band comes along that just hits you in the chest and puts you in your place. Throughout the past 6-7 years, all of Reeve Oliver's songs have meant the world to me. I think the main reason they have stuck with me for so long is because since my junior year of high school to this present day they have helped me make transitions throughout life. For me, this means meeting new people and losing others, the beginning and ending of a relationship, leaving home and returning, and having no clue what I'm doing and slowly figuring it out. It's extremely comforting to know that someone has been in that exact place in their life before. It's a personal connection.


From what I know, Reeve Oliver has two shows lined up in February. One is on the 2nd at the Casbah in San Diego, CA, and the other is on the 23rd at The Troubadour in Los Angeles, CA. Unfortunately for me, I don't see myself making my way out of the Southeast in the next month, but hopefully they decide to get out this way. If you are a Cali boy or girl in that area, please go. Do it for them. They deserve it. And do it for me. If you (Reeve Oliver) read this, please know that a group of kids who grew up in Seymour, TN are anxiously waiting for a new album and a show reasonably close. For our audience, thanks for reading!


-Kevin

5 comments:

  1. They remind me of Yellowcard

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69SsO0iIRQI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Sean O'Donnell actually filled in on bass for Yellowcard while Reeve Oliver was on hiatus.

      Delete
  2. Sweet review by the way, thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. DUDE I WAS AT THE KNOXVILLE SHOW, THEY ARE WONDERFUL AMAZING AND STUFF. Definitely one of my favorite bands of all time.

    ReplyDelete