Pages

Monday, November 5, 2012

The Features (Show) 10/31/2012

I don't have enough good things to say about The Features. About this time 3 years ago during my freshman year of college, I was roped into attending one of their shows at Exit/In all because of a rumor flying around that Kings of Leon was playing a secret show with them. That didn't happen. What did happen was me leaving that show with a new favorite band. Since that time, I have rarely missed a show in the eastern half of Tennessee. Recently, I described The Features to a friend as the best band on the planet, by planet I mean Tennessee, and by Tennessee I mean the planet.

Hailing from the small town of Sparta, TN, these guys are the best kept secret of the Nashville music scene. From what I know of their history, they started off playing together during high school in the mid 90's and have been at it ever since. They are truly a road tested and battle hardened band. After their first full length album, Exhibit A, their label dropped them due to lack of sales. Not about to give up, they were eventually picked up by Snakes & Serpents, Kings of Leon's label. The Features went on to record Some Kind of Salvation and most recently Wilderness with them. All of us owe Kings of Leon for keeping them alive. I read an interview about The Features touring with KOL and Caleb Followill said he went outside and puked after The Features set because he was so nervous about how they would follow them up.

On to the night's show, The Features kicked off their "late" night set with everyone clad in their Halloween costumes. Cory was a hipster ghoul and I was the infamous Steve Bartman. They opened up with "Kids" starting the night off right with a heavy hitter. The show, as usual, did not lack intensity. I was surprised to hear old favorites such as "2x2", "The Beginning (Week One)", and "Contrast" all which are rarely played, at least the shows I've been to. They squeezed in as many songs as possible during their longer than usual hour and half set. The crowd started to dwindle about halfway through mainly due to the fact that it was past midnight and most in attendance had school or work the next day. Those of us die hards who stuck around got to hear a new track that should be appearing on their new album supposedly coming out in March of 2013. For the last of song of the encore, The Features broke out the fan favorite "Thursday". I consider this to be their equivalent to "Free Bird". It's always the most bittersweet part of the show because everyone in the crowd loves belting out all the "Ya da da das", but you also know the show is coming to a close. With all this being said, The Features gave us all treats and no tricks on this All Hallow's Eve, and I can't wait for the next show.

-Kevin

The Features "Thursday" from Lake Fever Sessions on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment